Polishing brown leather shoes is essential to maintain their appearance and extend their lifespan. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to polish brown leather shoes effectively:
Materials you’ll need:
- Brown shoe polish (match the shade of your shoes).
- Soft bristle brush or a shoe brush.
- Clean or dry cloths or a shoe shine cloth.
- A small bowl of water.
- Optional: A shoe tree to maintain the shoe’s shape.
Step 1: Prepare your shoes
- Start by removing the shoelaces if your shoes have them. This will allow you to polish the entire surface of the shoe without obstruction.
Step 2: Clean the shoes
- Use a soft bristle brush or a shoe brush to remove any loose dirt, dust or debris from the surface of the shoes. Brush gently to avoid scratching the leather.
Step 3: Apply shoe polish
- Take a small amount of brown shoe polish onto a soft cloth or an applicator brush.
- Apply the polish evenly to the leather in small circular motions. Start with one section of the shoe and work your way around.
- Ensure you cover the entire shoe including seams and creases. You can apply more pressure in areas with scuffs or scratches.
Step 4: Allow the polish to dry
- Let the shoe polish dry for about 10-15 minutes.The drying time may vary depending on the brand and type of shoe polish you’re using.
Step 5: Buff the shoes
- After the polish has dried use a clean dry or shoe shine cloth to buff the shoes. Use brisk, back-and-forth motions to create a shine.
- You can also use a separate brush with soft bristles for buffing if you have one.
Step 6: Repeat if necessary
- If you want a higher shine or deeper color, you can repeat steps 3 to 5. Apply another thin layer of polish, allow it to dry and then buff it again.
Step 7: Replace the shoelaces
- Once you’re satisfied with the shine and color reinsert the shoelaces if you removed them.
Step 8: Optional shoe tree
- If you have a shoe tree, insert it into the shoe.This helps maintain the shoe’s shape and allows for better drying and air circulation.
Regularly polishing your brown leather shoes will keep them looking their best and help protect the leather from damage and keep it supple.How often you should polish them depends on how frequently you wear the shoes and the conditions they are exposed to but a general rule of thumb is to polish them every few weeks to months.
This method is The Best way to use polish on shoes.